Skip to content

Ellie’s Dental Developments

June 30, 2012
tags: ,

The other day my husband and I noticed that Ellie’s canines were looking quite short, so we decided to set up an appointment with our vet to find out if she needed anything to be done.


Less than five minutes after our vet had walked in, our suspicions had been confirmed: Ellie’s canines will need to be removed.

To be honest, we were prepared for this. She began chipping them early on, and considering all of her daily adventures, tumbles, and head bonks on the floor, I’m honestly surprised that her teeth aren’t worse off than they are.

Regardless, we want our little girl to be healthy, and removing her canines is the best way to go about it.

When it comes to chipped teeth, there are many options available depending on the situation.

Some chips don’t require any action since they aren’t bad enough to reveal the root and nerves. CG has a few of these, and thank goodness, they haven’t worsened.

Sometimes, depending on how the tooth is chipped and how the chip occurred, they can simply cap the tooth so the root is not exposed. In other situations, a root canal is performed. It keeps the tooth intact, but deadens the tooth so it won’t hurt or get infected.

Unfortunately, those aren’t great options for us, because no matter how we try, Ellie’s most likely going to continue chipping her teeth. We certainly wouldn’t want her to chip off a cap, and even if she had a root canal, she’d eventually be left with sharp nubs. And we certainly don’t want that.

Right now, her teeth are still healthy — even though the root is exposed, which presents us with a few options and problems:

1) We have the healthy teeth removed now. The benefit to this is that we get them out before they get infected, which they will eventually. Unfortunately, extracting healthy teeth is quite an ordeal, and will be more painful and require a longer time to heal.

2) We wait until the teeth become infected, then have them removed. I flinch at this option because I certainly don’t want Ellie to go through any pain that we can prevent (like a tooth infection), yet, once the tooth is removed, it becomes much easier to extract, which speeds up the healing time.

Either way, we’re lucky because she won’t have to stay overnight at the hospital. She will have to receive anesthesia, but that shouldn’t be too much of a concern. That was a big relief to me, and I know it’ll be a big relief to her, when the time comes.

We’re currently leaning toward one option, but we’re also waiting to receive a cost of surgery estimate from our vet. Goodness knows that will play a big part in our decision, too.

So there we are — facing another big experience with our little CH girl. But to be honest, I’m not too phased by it. Such is life with cerebellar hypoplasia.

2 Comments leave one →
  1. July 10, 2012 1:42 pm

    Have you considered getting insurance for your kitties? Obviously they wouldn’t cover this procedure but you should think about it for the future! I got insurance for Teddy in fear of something like this happening. He started to become very active, and I was so scared he’d injure himself. He hasn’t hurt himself yet, but he ended up being diagnosed with asthma. Insurance covers his inhaler, which is $170 and lasts about 2 months… So, it was a really good investment so far! I found that a lot of people don’t even know about cat insurance, when I mention it most people are surprised … but they vet was thrilled when I told them because they knew I wouldn’t hesitate to get Teddy X-rays to diagnose him, and the inhaler to help him. I think insurance is essential for CH cat parents!! I hope Ellie feels better, she’s adorable … it’s times like this where I wish we could talk to our cats and explain that we are doing this for their own good, and it will be better for them in the end. ❤ !

    • July 10, 2012 1:55 pm

      I did look into cat insurance a while ago, but quickly realized that most won’t cover any issue that’s related to congenital conditions (which are considered pre-existing), including CH. So in this case, I don’t think they would cover her surgery since her CH caused the issue in the first place. It totally stinks, but I can understand it.

      But it sounds like you can definitely benefit from it! Glad to hear his insurance covers his asthma. Which insurance do you have?

      I heard from someone that there is a pet insurance company that covers CH cats, but I haven’t found out if that’s true or which company it is. Either way, we’re fortunate enough to have a little savings account that we can pull from in situations like this. And she’s worth it 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: