Check Out The Most Popular Names For Adoptable & Adopted CH Cats

November 9, 2012
tags:

We’ve already gone over which states adopt out the most CH cats, and now I think you may enjoy something else: The most popular names for adoptable CH cats as well as adopted CH cats.

After going through those two lists, I compiled all of the names that have been used more than once, and I don’t think the results will surprise you!

In the word cloud above you’ll see the most popular names proportionally larger.

Of course the most popular name for adoptable and adopted cats continues to be Wobbles. Other popular names include Weebles and Penelope.

While most of the names are more typically human names, like Penelope, Jack, Molly and Bobby, a good number of them also describe CH cat characteristics: Wobbles, Weebles, Tippy, Wiggles and Rollie.

That said, we all know that our cats’ shelter/pre-adoption names can be temporary. Once we bring them home and give them a forever family, their identity can change in a snap!

For example, CG (which stands for Cary Grant, the actor) was originally named Scrabble. Ellie’s original name was Shadow, because it was thought she had a shadow of a chance to survive. I’m so glad she proved us all wrong!

What was your cat’s original name? Did you keep it? Or did you change it? Why did you change it and what did you change it to? Please share in the comments!

1. Lemonmelonn permalink
    November 9, 2012 8:01 am

Dotty’s shelter name was Buttons. I named her Dotty because she was a little “dotty”. Funny though, because she loves to sit on my stomach when I’m laying on the couch and chew on my buttons.

• November 9, 2012 10:07 am

That’s so funny! It’s almost as if she knows her heritage, so to speak 🙂

2. Carolyn permalink
    November 9, 2012 10:05 am

My 2 are named Betty & Bernie Bobblehead. When they came to me I had no idea what CH was. Yea for the internet!!!!!

• November 9, 2012 10:07 am

The Bobbleheads! How cute! How long have you had them?

3. Lauren Torggler permalink
    November 9, 2012 11:28 am

Mimosa’s shelter name was Divinity. As much of a miracle as she was, we decided to change her name. Since the shelter kept referring to her as a “drunken sailor,” we thought naming her Mimosa, after one my favorite breakfast “drinks”, was perfect!

4. Michael Minter permalink
    November 9, 2012 7:19 pm

My little guy is named, “Darwin.”

5. November 9, 2012 10:58 pm

We were gonna rename Chairman Mao, but as we got to know him, it kinda suited him LOL

6. Tammy Portlock permalink
    November 10, 2012 8:14 am

My CH baby was named Sally by her foster mom, so we decided to keep it, although when I call her I say Sally Ann.

7. Heather C. permalink
    November 25, 2012 4:52 pm

My little guy’s shelter name was Disco; one of the volunteers there introduced him as “Disco, the Dancing Kitty”. We didn’t plan to change it, but once we got him home, his name somehow morphed into Dizzy. Favorite nicknames include Dizzyfoot, Dizbert, Bumper Boat, and (occasionally) Natural Dizaster.

8. AuntThelma permalink
    January 31, 2013 3:00 pm

We adopted two CH cats – twin females, age 9 months. The shelter was calling them Easter 1 and Easter 2 (I guess they’d been born around Easter.)
    We changed their names to Bunny and Bonnie. (Easter bunny and Easter bonnet.)
    Bunny has severe CH and actually walks like a bunny, also she is very shy.
    Bonnie is, as her name says, just plain happy.

9. Laura permalink
    July 25, 2017 10:33 pm

I think my cat, Mulligan, and his brother, Murphy, were given Irish names because they stagger about like drunks….