‘Tis The Season Of Rock Salt & AntiFreeze
It’s February, which means winter has finally arrived in Chicago.
After a rather mild couple of holiday months (not to mention one 60-degree day last week!), winter has hit us hard with a few days hovering around zero, followed by a several inches of snow.
So, like clockwork, I’ve seen the salt trucks drive around the city the past few days, and it not only reminds me that winter is finally here, but also that we all need to be increasingly careful about exposing our pets to rock salt and antifreeze.
Our pets can come into contact with either a number of ways – from a walk outside to us bringing it in on our boots. It’s likely something we don’t even think about as we walk indoors, since we’re trying to escape the cold.
But when consumed, rock salt and antifreeze can make a pet violently ill, and in some cases, may even lead death.
Rock salt can cause a host of problems in pets. Consuming rock salt can lead to burns in the mouth and throat, excessive salivating, dehydration, liver failure, pancreatitis and gastro problems. Antifreeze contains the chemical ethylene glycol, which can be lethal when ingested.
Fortunately, we’re not powerless.
Before you walk in your door, wipe off your boots as much as possible. Once you take them off, consider putting them away in a closet or a space your pet can’t reach.
If your pet has been walking outside, take a moment to wipe off his paws at the front door, and later inspect them to see if there’s any rock salt trapped between his paw pads. If you have a smaller dog, you may want to wipe down most of his legs, too.
Lastly, make sure your entry way is kept rather clear – if you notice a build up of salt on the floor, simply sweep it up before your pet gets to it.