Sunday’s Trip To The Emergency Room

March 4, 2013

Hi all –

So today’s post is going to be a little different from usual, and I’m hoping that if you pray, you could say a little prayer for our CG.

photoYesterday during a birthday celebration for my husband, CG got ahold of a bow made of curling ribbon. As we took it away from him, my husband and I saw CG swallow a piece (we do not know the length of the ribbon). Needless to say, our celebration was cut short as we made our way to our local veterinary ER.

I first called the ER to see if there was anything we could do at home. I know you can make a dog vomit by giving him hydrogen peroxide, but I wanted to speak to a professional before I took that serious step. I was told that administering hydrogen peroxide to cats in your home is *not* recommended, as it can be difficult to make your cat vomit, and if he does, there’s a likely chance he can asphyxiate. The issue was serious enough that they recommended that we come in right away.

So we did, and thankfully they took us in almost immediately.

The doctor told us she would try several methods to make CG vomit, and she would keep us posted. She said she wouldn’t try hydrogen peroxide, as it can linger in their throat and actually burn it.

She took CG to the back, and we waited. And waited.

Every so often we would hear him howl, and it just broke my heart.

Maybe 30 minutes or so later, the doctor told us that they hadn’t been able to get him to vomit. They had tried a number of things and had made him horribly nauseated, but nothing worked. The poor guy looked terrible on our way home. My heart went out to him.

Now it’s just a waiting game to see if he can pass the ribbon safely.

Our doctor said some cats have passed strange things, but others rightly have trouble. We should know in a day or two. At that point we’ll see what our other options are.

In the meantime, I’ve been taking detailed notes about his behaviors (eating, litter box use), and I hope we’ll have some progress soon.

So again, if you could, we’d really appreciate some prayers that CG can pass this ribbon safely and soon, but I also know that God is in control, which is a great feeling, especially since I feel so helpless right now!

I’ll keep you posted.

1. Rich B permalink
    March 4, 2013 8:25 am

I bet he will pass it today or tomorrow.
    I will pray for his quick recovery and good health.
    Hang in there-

• March 4, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks so much, Rich. We truly appreciate it.

2. janice permalink
    March 4, 2013 8:27 am

Hoping you have a good outcome…thinking of you…janice

3. March 4, 2013 8:57 am

Poor CG! When I have to take my pets to the vet is when I most wish they could speak English so I could explain why this is happening to them! I will be praying for his quick and easy recovery, and for you and your husband too during this stressful time.

• March 4, 2013 9:06 am

That’s exactly how I feel! I wish he could understand what’s going on. Thank you for your prayers!

4. Cristina permalink
    March 4, 2013 12:13 pm

Wishing all the best to CG and his family. Hoping for the best. Gianni and Zanzi (ch cats from Portugal) will say a prayer for CG!!

5. Martha Vitez permalink
    March 5, 2013 6:30 am

paws crossed for my dear CG!

6. Lemonmelonn permalink
    March 5, 2013 7:35 am

I’ll be keeping you and CG in my thoughts today. Hoping for only the best outcome for your little kitty. Keep your spirits up!

–Catherine Paciotti and Dotty

7. March 5, 2013 7:42 am

Thank you everyone for your kind responses. Unfortunately, we don’t have an update. I’m hoping today will be the day. If nothing happens by this evening, we’re going to follow up with our vet to see what the next step should be… Hugs to all!

8. March 5, 2013 7:58 am

I the words of Martn Luther King Jr, ” We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.” Thinking of CG and hoping that “And this too shall pass.”

9. Lesley permalink
    March 5, 2013 3:42 pm

I hope all goes well for CG. My CH cat sometimes eats elastic bands, and they always come out again without problem. He can smell them, even if I don’t know they are there. Best wishes CG.

10. nionvox permalink
    March 6, 2013 9:23 am

I’m sure it’ll come out fine. When Chairman swallowed a hair band I put a teaspoon of coconut oil in his food (it’s a mild laxative) and he passed it without issue, thankfully.

11. Natthinee permalink
    March 9, 2013 8:26 am

I’m sure CG will pass this situation. did the vet make the x-ray? and how long the ribbon? Does it make of plastic or clothe? ..sorry to ask you many questions but would like to share with you some idea. I used to give my cat wet food with milk to make him go to toilet earlier and easier. finally it’s worked .