Skip to content

Our Emergency Comes To An End

March 10, 2013

There’s no other way to say this – CG finally passed the ribbon.

You may remember we had a bit of an emergency last week. CG got hold of a present’s bow that was made out of curling ribbon and swallowed a piece of unknown length.

559685_10100349418489827_1478224023_nAfter visiting the ER, we were told to wait: He would either pass it in two days, or he would stop eating and look sickly.

So we waited. And waited.

Monday passed. Tuesday passed. Wednesday passed.

Every time CG used the litter box, I ran to it and went through his business. Since I didn’t know how long the ribbon was, I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss it.

By mid-week,  Matt and I started to wonder if we were crazy. CG, meanwhile, was acting completely normal, if not more full of life. We *saw* him eat the ribbon. But we started to second-guess ourselves. Could he have spit it out? This ribbon should be wreaking havoc inside of him, but instead CG was acting as if everything was fine – better than fine.

Thursday passed.

At that point, Matt and I decided that I would check in with our vet on Friday to see what our options were. I wanted to find out if an x-ray would reveal anything, although I wasn’t sure if it would be able to pick up on the ribbon. I just wanted to find out if it was still in him and where.

Friday afternoon, our vet called us and recommended a two-step process. First, she said, we would give him a laxative to move things along. Then, by Monday or so, if the laxative hadn’t helped, she said we could have x-rays done. But, since the ribbon would not show up in an x-ray, they’d have to give him a certain substance that would highlight any foreign objects in his stomach, and x-ray him multiple times throughout the day as the substance worked through him.

Neither option sounded like a great idea, but as a pet parent, sometimes you just need to do what’s best for your cat.

And then it happened Friday around 5 p.m. CG used the litter box.

I went to it for the umpteenth time, ready for my umpteenth disappointment.

But there it was – tangled up with his hair in one of his, um, nuggets. I started to cry. I absolutely couldn’t believe it passed without a problem – and 120 or so hours after the fact.

Since then, thankfully, CG has continued to be just fine.

A number of you were tremendously kind and offered words of hope and prayers, and asked about CG all week. Thank you so much for everything, it really meant a great deal to us!

Oh, and yes, I did measure it (the one question all of my immediate family members asked me respectively). The ribbon was 12 inches long. Sheesh.

7 Comments leave one →
  1. Lemonmelonn permalink
    March 10, 2013 7:39 am

    Very happy to hear everything came out okay!

  2. Lemonmelonn permalink
    March 10, 2013 7:41 am

    But seriously, we were all worried. I’ve read about cats eating string, and how it can wind around their intestines, so this is very good news!

  3. Cristina permalink
    March 10, 2013 12:52 pm

    Uffff!!! Great news 🙂 I’m very happy for CG and his super-caring pet parents. May you all be blessed with many many years together :)) Hugs for you all, from Cris, Gianni and Zanzi

  4. Carolyn permalink
    March 10, 2013 5:53 pm

    Thank God! Oh I mis-read the opening line and thought CG had passed……I was sooooo worrrrried. Thank God again!

  5. Lauren Torggler permalink
    March 10, 2013 7:15 pm

    So glad to hear he is ok!

  6. March 11, 2013 3:13 am

    I read this with a beating heart * fast beating heart * I bet you have grey hairs now!

  7. Rich B permalink
    March 12, 2013 6:43 am

    That’s great news, I was waiting for him to pass it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: