Why Punishing Your Cat Doesn’t Work

March 27, 2013

Lately, CG’s been a bit of a stinker.

He’s picked up an annoying habit of pawing at our closet’s sliding mirror doors, which results in an irritating clatter noise. He’ll usually do this while we’re in bed before we go to sleep, or if he thinks we’re sleeping in a little too late on a Saturday.

Photo coutesy Syd Daoust.

The other day it was so annoying that my husband and I were both extremely frustrated with him – until a thought popped into my mind: How would we respond if we knew this was our last day with CG?

It instantly softened my heart and reminded me a few things. Namely, it’s important to understand a cat’s actions from his perspective, rather than judging his actions from my perspective.

It also reminded me that there’s no point in punishing a cat. Training, yes. Punishing, no.

What do I mean by all of this?

Cats don’t see their behaviors as “good” or “bad.” We see them that way, but they don’t. There aren’t “bad” cats, and when they do “bad” things it doesn’t mean that they’re mad at us. That interpretation of their motives is from our perspective and isn’t correct.

In fact, living with a cat will result in a number of various behaviors. Some you may enjoy, like snuggling. Others you may abhor, like your cat scratching at your favorite chair. But the truth is there are reasons for everything your cat does, and it’s up to us to find out what those reasons are, and help our cats learn more appropriate behaviors.

Consequently, when we punish our cats, they won’t understand it. They won’t connect the punishment to the “bad” behavior. As a result, all they see and feel is their human being randomly cruel to them. They connect the punishment to the one who’s doing the punishment, rather than to the behavior.

This can obviously result in a number of negative issues. Plus, punishments don’t help because they don’t teach a cat what he should do instead. The main takeaway? When it comes to cats, punishments do more harm than good.

For example, punishments can:

Hurt your relationship.

Imagine you’re your cat. You love your human. You lay on her lap. Your human is good to you. But then suddenly your human is always shouting at you, spraying you with water, maybe even hitting you. How would you respond? You’d distance yourself. You’d stop going to that person for love – maybe even avoid them during mealtime. You may even act out in other ways (on purpose or by accident), leading to more anger. You don’t know when your human will be happy, or when he’ll be mad. Your trust in this person deteriorates.

Cause stress.

Photo courtesy Lebatihem

Punishments – or rather being cruel to your cat – can really stress her out. It can make her feel vulnerable, anxious, and insecure. Like with people, a sense of safety is essential if you want to feel loved and valued, not to mention flourish and grow.

Lead to more issues.

Punishing certainly won’t resolve the original issue – and in fact, it may make it worse. Plus, it can lead to your cat developing other unwanted behaviors, too. Some may be intentional, like pooping on your bed, others may be unintentional, like having accidents around your home. Rest assured that your cat doesn’t want to do any of these negative behaviors, she’s simply reacting to the stress in her life.

On a related note, this may also mean that your cat will avoid the areas where she has been punished. If you swatted at your cat in the kitchen, she may avoid going to her food and water dishes.

At this point, you may be thinking “I know, I know, I shouldn’t punish my cat. But he’s doing ___, and it’s really annoying!” Don’t worry, I totally get that. Keep your eyes open for a post on how to reinforce good behaviors – and discourage unwanted ones.

1. Lemonmelonn permalink
    March 27, 2013 7:50 am

I totally agree with you. If you hit a cat, they’ll attack you, and if you spray them with water, it’ll just make them upset and confuse them about why you’re being mean to them and ultimately cause more behavior problems. I’m looking forward to your posts on positive reinforcement.

2. Lauren Torggler permalink
    March 28, 2013 11:05 am

Looking forward to the post on discouraging unwanted behaviors! Most of the stuff Mimosa does it just plain annoying and I live with it, but lately she’s started a few naughtier habits which I really want to break – particularly climbing into and digging through the trash cans (well the small ones she can reach). She loves being groomed, but now she seems to have separation anxiety from the hair we’ve brushed off. At first it was funny when she climbed into the trash can to retrieve the big hair ball, but now we can’t keep her out of the trash cans in general! Driving me and my husband insane.

• March 28, 2013 12:23 pm

It’s so funny that you say that – CG *just* tipped over a small recycling bin I have in my office! Hopefully I’ll have some good solutions/options for us!

3. Angel permalink
    July 22, 2014 9:36 am

All of my cats were disciplined with a light swatting and loud yelling. 4 cats, and 2 more from the past I no longer have. None of them lost their trust or reacted negatively to it. My cats still come to me lovingly and without fear. Now the light swatting isn’t necessary because they respond to the yelling alone. I feel like people exaggerate a cat’s true nature. They much like dogs in that they can be very forgiving–at least my cats are. You’d have to hit them pretty hard for them to become angry and distrust you.

4. Kristen permalink
    January 28, 2016 3:52 pm

I disagree. Our cat gets nervous around our dinner time. She will start scratching the couch over and over. We decided to give her a few timeouts in the bathroom. We dont yell, we just told her in a strict “no” then placed her in there for about 10 minutes. To our surprise she has stopped this bad behavior. I think animals do understand more than we give them credit for.

5. Jason permalink
    May 2, 2016 4:39 pm

This is total BS, my cat knows what is bad behavior. My cat knows it is not allowed in my room but chooses to do so anyways because he likes to sit on my open window. I know this because when he is in my room and hears me move in the living room, he will try and sneak out and go hide under my children’s bed because he KNOWS he did wrong. Same thing when he tries to get on the kitchen table because there is something on the table he wants to eat. It is a risk vs reward situation and the reward of what’s on the table is worth the risk of him getting squirted with water. You have to change the equation so the risk is not worth the reward. My change was an airsoft gun. Him getting shot in the butt was not worth the few bites of food he wanted. He still loves me, he still come to me for affection and he still snuggles with me, but you know what he doesn’t do? Go in my room or get on the kitchen table

• January 12, 2017 7:55 am

This made me chuckle, I’m about to get an airsoft gun for my own little brat. She’s developing a taste for jumping on tables to knock glasses of water over.