Have A Cat With A Raw Booty? Try These Solutions

July 31, 2013

Digestive issues and cerebellar hypoplasia can be a messy mix.

Early on after we had adopted Ellie, there were a few weeks that we battled diarrhea. The most memorable moment was when she asked to be placed onto our bed one night, and as I nuzzled her in the dark, I realized she was caked in poop and litter all on one side like a breaded chicken cutlet!

Photo courtesy justinbaeder.

During those weeks, Ellie had a number of baths – and since I’ve learned that we weren’t alone in our CH/diarrhea adventures.

No matter if your cat has CH or is “normal,” odds are at some point you may have to deal with some diarrhea issues. (Click here to find more diarrhea-related posts; who knows, your cat’s food may be the cause!)

And sometimes those diarrhea issues means a raw booty. A few weeks back, Naomi posted on the CH Cats & Kittens Facebook group about her Dolly’s raw booty, which was tender from all of the baths she had after her bouts of diarrhea. She reached out to the group to find out if they had any suggestions.

Some of the recommendations included:

• Vaseline
  • Neosporin
  • A&D ointment
  • Cold compress
  • CVS brand wipes
  • Any human baby butt ointment that does not contain zinc (such as Desitin).

Before you start any treatment, I’d recommend giving your vet office a quick call to find out if they approve any of the options above. You’ll want to make sure that the product you use is gentle and safe enough for your little one. They may be able to offer other best practices too, that will encourage healing.

And of course, you’ll also want to focus on solving the diarrhea issue as soon as possible, as it can lead to dehydration.

Do you have any other recommendations? Please share in the comments!

1. Carolyn permalink
    July 31, 2013 8:14 am

I have a product from my vet called Neo-Predef. It is a light powder that is great for the raw booty, wounds and other gooey skin problems. I always have this on hand. But check with your vet for specific uses.

2. July 31, 2013 11:38 am

thanks for mentioning the zinc. I’d heard to not use butt ointment and wasn’t sure why.

3. Andee permalink
    July 31, 2013 5:24 pm

I have fostered many kittens and have 4 CH kitties of my own. I find cornstarch to work well for wicking up the moisture from a bath or wipe and it’s soothing to the raw skin. I put it in any type of shaker and shake it on!

4. July 31, 2013 11:52 pm

Since my Dimity wears a diaper every day, and sometimes has a bowel movement when I’m not home (or don’t notice — modern baby diapers are SO full of deodorant, whereas in my day, 40 years ago, you could smell the poop!) she sometimes gets sore down there. I got a powder called Neo-Predef from my vet, which can be sprinkled onto whatever part of her bottom is sore. It has both an antibiotic and a pain reliever in it. It’s not cheap, but a little goes a long way, and it relieves me of the worry that an ointment might get into her urethra and create an obstruction.

Dimity also detests baths (gets hysterical and tries to bite), and I’ve found that wiping her clean with a wet washcloth does the job with much less stress. I sit on the toilet seat (lid down, of course!) and fill the sink with warm, not hot water, and wipe and rinse out the rag repeatedly until she’s clean. I put her on a towel on my lap so I don’t get soaked. Sometimes I blow dry her — not so much during the summer, but definitely during the winter when it’s cold down there at floor level. She enjoys the blow-drying, but I know that not every cat would. If your cat doesn’t, then you have to be sure to towel it off thoroughly and maybe let it rest on a warm heating pad until it’s dry.

• ANN permalink
      April 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Try baby wipes that have NO fragrance or alcohol. I buy some from Walmart that are gentle and hypoallergenic.

5. May 3, 2015 1:52 pm

Desitin has more zinc oxide than zinc oxide ointment. You need to change this.

6. Julie permalink
    October 1, 2016 3:06 pm

My cat is 16 and has recently been diagnosed with a thyroid problem and kidney problems. R vet has given us tablets for thyroid and special food but has told us all we can do with kidney problems apart from slow the process down with medication which we have now started. I am at the moment concerned that her Anas is sore and swollen and was wondering if there’s anything I can do to help her feel more comfortable. I have been reading about A&D cream and Vaseline to help does anyone know if this would be OK for lottie considering her underlining medical conditions. Just feel so sorry for her she seems really uncomfortable which is understandable 🙁 Thanks everyone

• ANN permalink
      April 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Why not ask your Vet ?

7. Lisa Morris permalink
    January 16, 2017 7:05 pm

my cat Stitch is 20lbs and 2 years old..well..his butt I red swollen and inflamed..he wasn’t like this till bout 2 months..ago he injured ha foot.
    well got to where he wasn’t grooming himself well. ..which caused matted hair and tags in that area..I’m assuming his fur had pop stuck in it.which I bathed him. several times..now his butt is so raw and sore..or looks it..I feel so bad..I’ve tried putting vasrline and A&D aiontment..and even trimmed it..he is very hard to handle I think he needs to be sedating to shave him..down there..could you please recommend or help me..very concerned and pained about my kitty..

• ANN permalink
      April 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Take him to your Vet and see if he might have arthritis. Cats will stop being good at grooming themselves if they get arthritis. Cosequin {2 capsules a day} helped my cat a lot – she was back to being happy and more active, but still cleaning herself was still hard for her. She has to twist too much to do that. She’s going to be 14 years old though, so, I use baby wipes. Wipe from the butt up towards the tail – with female cats especially it has to be done that way in order not to give them infections. But – see a Vet. I’m just saying what worked well to help my cat in general, and your case might be different.

8. ANN permalink
    April 11, 2017 9:41 pm

I was told DO NOT USE NEOSPORIN !!!!!! But my Vet said Bacitracin Zinc Ointment USP is OK, made by Walgreens. I believe it’s the most BASIC Bacitracin too – make sure because there are several types. Always clear it with your Vet, Alo I was told any baby diaper rash ointment is OK. And that “Aquaphor” {a lot like Vaseline} was most recommended.